Thursday, September 8, 2011

Love lessons?

Who knew having children would sometimes make cause for old wounds to reopen. Having children, one girl, one boy, has forced me to look back at many times in my life and what to teach them when they are faced with similar life experiences. My instinct is to protect my daughter from heartache by teaching her to have a strong sense of self and her own path. But I recently wondered if my own gut wrenching and devastating heartache didn't actually improve my judgment and knowledge about myself after the fact?
Should I encourage my son to play the field so he gets it out of his system hoping he has learned to date responsibly and not purposely hurt anyone? eNcourage him to date aplenty so that when he meets the one who shines the brightest he will understand why she is separate from the pack. Or should he find out that women are different creatures and may greatly misunderstand his motives no matter how sincere. By doing this he will definitely be hurting the feelings of others.
Really these things Are none of my business by the time they start happening, but I do feel responsible for the years leading up to it.
How to raise a child without the kind of heartbreak that takes up too much room on the life road? Or does this probability hasten the onset of personal awareness once the seeming never ending ache appeases?
All perhaps I should do is continue to
Show examples of how to treat people in general, with empathy and kindness, and trust unless broken. It is my job as parent to to be suspect of too nice boys or o rely affectionate girls. No matter what I might offer them, their own hearts and impulses will prevail over anything I have to offer. And I will he home to lend an ear, a smile, and a promise that no matter how awful it is now it will teach you things only heartbreaks can teach you.

No comments:

Post a Comment